Triple chocolate gelato
Gelato is an Italian version of ice cream made with milk, cream, sugar and fruits or nuts or chocolate. This triple chocolate gelato is a smooth and creamy gelato recipe with super rich dark chocolate flavor and taste. It is an eggless recipe. It is called triple chocolate because it has cocoa powder, bitter sweet chocolate and semi sweet chocolate. Its like chocolate slapping on your face. So Good!!
I added Kahlua which is a coffee flavored liqueur that makes this chocolate gelato more chcocolatey. It just bumps the chocolate flavor to next level. I added cornstarch instead of egg just because I wanted my vegetarian friends to try this out and also it is based on Sicilian style gelato which normally does not use eggs in the recipe.
The difference between ice cream and gelato is the amount of fat content. Gelato has less fat than ice cream, since the base of gelato is milk. Also it is churned slower than ice cream thus incorporating less air which makes it more creamy and dense. Since the fat content is less, it also makes the flavor to stand out.
I love dark chocolate ice cream. The first time I tasted chocolate gelato called "Death by chocolate" was in India and I was sold on my first lick. It was smooth, creamy, chocolatey and had a bits of dark chocolate in it and since I don't like ice cream with a bunch of toppings, it was perfect for me. From then on i became a big fan of chocolate ice cream.
So if you are too a lover of dark chocolate gelato, do try this recipe and let me know what you think.
Yield: 1 quart
Ingredients for triple chocolate gelato:-
- 3 cups of whole milk
- 3/4 - 1 cup of heavy cream
- 2 Tbsp of corn starch
- 1/3 cup of sugar
- 4 oz of bitter sweet chocolate, finely choped
- 2 Tbsp of semi sweet mini chocolate chips
- 3 Tbsp of cocoa powder
- 1.5 tsp of vanila extract
- 2 Tbsp of kahlua (coffee flavor liqueur)
Method for triple chocolate gelato:-
- Heat 2 cups of milk, heavy cream and sugar in a pan.
- Mix well corn starch in a 1/2 cup of cold milk and set it aside.
- When the milk is about to come to boil, add the corn starch slurry in a hot milk and mix well.
- Cook over low- medium heat until milk starts boiling and it becomes thick (about 10 mins).
- In the remaining 1/2 cup of cold milk, whisk cocoa powder well.
- Take the pan off the heat and add chocolate and cocoa powder mixture and whisk well unti the chocolate melts.
- Add in the vanilla extract and kahlua.
- Let the mixture cool down. Then put the mixture in a bowl and refrigerate for 1-2 hour or until it becomes cold.
- Put the mixture in a ice cream mixture with chocolate chips and churn according to the machine directions.
- Put the mixture in a container and freeze it. Triple chocolate gelato is ready to serve.
If you dont have ice cream machine, then put the gelato mixture in a wide container and freeze it for 2 hour, take out the container and scrach the mixture with a fork and freeze it again. Repeat this process for 3-4 times.
If you want any other topping, add when the mixture starts churning.
Walnuts, almonds, hazel nuts will make an excellent toppings.