Chettinad chicken is a spicy, aromatic chicken curry recipe from the region of Chettinad in Tamil Nadu. This curry is super flavourful because of the spices used. First the whole dry spices including coconut and poppy seeds are toasted and then processed to a smooth paste. Chicken cooked low and slow in this super aromatic ground paste along with onion, garlic, ginger, curry leaves and tomatoes results in juicy and flavourful chicken curry. The roasted coconut does its magic and balances the taste and spice level of this curry.
Yield: 6 servings
Ingredients for chettinad chicken :-
- 1200 -1500 gms of skinless, bonein chicken, cleaned and cut into pieces
- 3-4 large onions, chopped
- 1 whole garlic, peeled and crushed
- 2 inch of ginger, peeled and grated
- 2 sprigs of curry leaves
- 3 red tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 of lemon, juiced
- 1 tsp of turmeric
- 1 tsp of salt
- 2 Tbsp of oil
Spices to grind :-
- Cinnamon stick around 3 inches
- 6 cloves
- 8-10 peppercorns
- 6-8 dry red chillies
- 4 cardamom
- 2 tsp of cumin seeds
- 1 tsp of fennel seeds
- 1.5 Tbsp of coriander seeds
- 1/3 of coconut, grated
- 1 tsp of poppy seeds
- 1 Tbsp of chana dal or peanuts or cashews
- 1/2 tsp of turmeric
Method for Chettinad chicken :-
- Marinate chicken with salt, lemon juice and turmeric for 30 mins or so .
- Heat a pan and dry roast cinnamon, cardamom, coves, peppercorns for 2-3 minutes over low-medium heat. Then add coriander, cumin, fennel, dry chillies, coconut, poppy seeds and chana dal and roast further for 2-3 minutes until all the spices released toasty aroma and coconut is light brown.
- Let the spices cool down for a bit, then grind everything with turmeric to smooth paste.
- Heat another big pan with oil and add onions and cook until translucent.
- Then add ginger and garlic and cook it further for 5-8 minutes.
- Now add ground spices and saute it for 2 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and cook until the tomatoes get disappeared and the gravy release oil.
- Add the chicken, curry leaves, salt and cook the chicken over low heat for 45-50 minutes with the lid on.
- Chettinad chicken is ready to serve.
Serve the chicken with steamed rice or chappati.
Adjust the red chillies according to your taste. If you like super spicy add more or if you are not a big fan of spicy food, take the seeds off the chillies.