Tuscan vegetable and bean soup/Tuscan vegetable soup
A very hearty, healthy and filling soup consisting a variety of tuscan vegetables and white beans served with crispy garlic rubbed bread. Tuscan vegetable and beans soup is a complete meal in its own. A nutritious, all in one recipe for any meatless day. Having a hot bowl of Tuscan bean soup in winters is very satisfying that can make you feel warm and active from inside.
Yield :- 6 servings
Ingredients for tuscan vegetable and beans soup :-
- 1 cup of cooked cannellini or 15oz can of white beans
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, diced small
- 2 celery sticks, diced small
- 1 small zucchini, diced
- 4 big garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 cups of spinach leaves, chopped
- 1 (15 ounces) can of diced tomatoes or 4 medium plum tomatoes(blanched,skin removed and pureed)
- 32 oz of veggie/chicken stock
- 1 tsp of dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp of dried rosemary
- 1 big bay leaf
- 1/2-1 tsp of dried red pepper flakes
- Salt to taste
- 1 tbsp of oil
- Parmesan cheese(optional)
- Hand full of torn basil leaves
- 10 slices of italian bread/ french bread
- olive oil for brushing
- 1 big garlic clove
- Salt and black pepper to sprinkle
Method for tuscan vegetable and beans soup :-
1. In a big pot heat oil, then add onion, celery and carrot and cook until onion starts to soften.
2. Now add garlic, zucchini, tomatoes with its juice, pepper flakes, bay leaf and salt. Crush thyme and rosemary in your hand and add to the pot. Put one the lid and bring it to boil over low-medium heat and simmer for 8-10 minutes.
3. In a small bowl, mash 1/4 cup of cooked beans. When the veggies are tender, add whole beans and mashed beans and let it simmer for another 5 minutes.
4. Now add the spinach and again simmer for 5 minutes.
5. In the mean time, set the broiler on high. Brush the bread slices with oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper on both sides and place it on the wire rack and put the wire rack on the baking tray and broil it for 1-2 minutes then take out, flip the bread and again broil for 1-2 minutes. Keep an eye on the bread as it can burn in seconds. Put the oven light on to keep a check on the bread. Bread will be toasted when it is gloden brown on both sides.
6. Peel the garlic and cut off its head to reveal its flesh. When the bread slices are toasted rub the garlic all over the slices on the both sides while the bread is still hot.
7. Take the soup pot off the flame and add basil and cheese if required.
8. Serve warm tuscan vegetable and beans soup with garlic rubbed bread.
- If using canned cannellini beans in this tuscan soup, make sure to rinse it 2-3 times to remove its extra salt and preservative.
- You can use kale or swiss chard leaves instead of spinach in this tuscan soup. Add it with the tomatoes and cook till it is tender.