Beet root and beet greens curry
When ever I see beets with greens attached in farmer's market, I have to buy it because I know one really yummy and healthy recipe which me and my husband both love. If you don't like beet root, this curry will change your mind. Beet root and beet green curry is a healthy recipe with Beet's roots and greens cooked together with onion, ginger, chilies, tomatoes, and yogurt. It is very creamy, tangy, spicy and sweet at the same time. A very healthy curry which goes perfectly with roti or rice.
I love beets but not a fan of raw beets, so when I get them from the market, I normally make steamed beet salad or beet thoran which is basically stir fry beet root with coconut. I came up with this recipe when I had only beets and tomatoes left in my refrigerator. The curry without yogurt is also good enough but the addition of yogurt makes it just so creamy and yummy. This has become one of our favorite curries with hot Roti and we make this curry pretty often in our home.
If you cannot find beet root with greens, you can add swiss chard or spinach with beet roots. And if you are Vegan then just skip the yogurt and add coconut milk.
Yield: 5-6 servings
Ingredients for Beetroot and beet greens curry:-
- 1 bunch of beet root with leaves
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 inch of ginger, peeled and chopped finely
- 3 green chilies, finely chopped
- 3 medium tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp of turmeric powder
- 1 sprig of curry leaves
- 1/2 tsp of mustard seeds
- 1/4 tsp of fenugreek seeds (optional)
- 1/3 tsp of roasted cumin powder
- 3/4 to 1 cup of yogurt
- Salt to taste
- 1 Tbsp of oil
Method for Beetroot and beet greens curry:-
- Separate the beet root from the leaves and wash it well. Peel the beet root and chop into small cubes.
- Tear the leaves from the stalks. Thinly slice the stalks and set it aside. Chop the leaves finely.
- Heat oil in a pan, add mustard seeds and fenugreek seeds and let it splutter. Then add onion, ginger, curry leaves and green chilies. Saute until the onion is translucent.
- Now add the stalks and cook for 2-3 minutes. Then add in turmeric powder and tomatoes. Put on the lid and let it cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the beetroots, salt and cook until beetroots are 90% done.
- When beetroot is almost cooked, add in the beet leaves put on the lid and cook further until everything is cooked well.
- Turn off the heat and take off the lid and let it cool down for about 5 minutes.
- Whisk the yogurt with cumin powder well.
- Now pour the yogurt and mix it continuously for few seconds. Make sure you are adding and mixing at the same time or yogurt will turn grainy.
- Beet root and green curry are done and ready to serve.
This curry goes well with roti and rice.
If you cannot find beet root with greens, you can use spinach or swiss chard too.
If you wanna go vegan, skip the yogurt and add 1/3 cup of thick coconut milk.