Ethakka erissery / Plantain with moong dal Kerala recipe
Erissery is an authentic Kerala delight in which any particular vegetable is cooked with coconut and cumin paste and then seasoned with fried mustard, curry leaves and coconut. Plantains are referred to as ethakka in Kerala. In ethakka erissery or plantain erissery, green moongdal and plantains are cooked together with ground coconut and cumin. This erissery dish is very delicious and creamy and goes really well with rice.
Plantains are members of banana family but starchier and have less sugar than any ordinary banana. They are normally used more as a vegetable than fruit and very common in southern India, Caribbean islands and in some parts of Africa and South America.
Yield :- 3-4 servings
Ingredients for ethakka or plantain erissery :-
- 1 cup of whole green moong dal, soaked for 4 hours
- 1 plantain, diced(about 1 inch)
- 1/4 cup of shredded or grated unsweetened coconut
- 1 tsp tsp of cumin seeds
- 5 garlic cloves
- 1 sprig of curry leaves
- Few dry red chillies
- 2 green chillies, chopped
- 1/2 tsp of turmeric powder
- 1 tsp of mustard seeds
- 1 tsp of oil
Method for ethakka or plantain erissery :-
- Cook moong dal in 3-4 cups of water in a pressure cooker without lid for about 15 minutes.
- Then add plantain, turmeric, chillies annd salt. Put on the lid and cook over medium heat for about 2 whistles. Let the pressure go down by itself.
- Grind coconut (Keep aside a tsp of coconut for seasoning) with cumin seeds, garlic and little water to a coarse paste.
- When plantain and moong dal is cooked (dal should be little mushy but plantain will hold its shape) add ground coconut and mix well and let it cook further on low flame for 3-4 minutes.
- In another pan, splutter mustard seeds in hot oil ,then add curry leaves, red chilly and coconut, stir until cocont is golden brown and add it to the cooked dal mixture.
- Ethakka or plantain erissery is done.
- Serve warm plantain erissery with steamed rice or roti.