Vegetable korma with tofu
Vegetable korma with Tofu is a Vegan Indian recipe in which tofu, carrot, peas, cauliflower is cooked in cashew-almond-tomato sauce. This is a rich dish with super creamy texture and loads of flavor from various Indian spices. This curry goes really well with Roti(Indian bread) or Naan.
Normally Vegetable korma is composed of various vegetables and paneer(Indian cottage cheese) in a tomato-cashew based gravy. Some people use coconut milk instead of cashew or almond paste. But in this recipe, I have replaced paneer with firm tofu and trust me it does taste good.
Tofu is always blamed for being bland and tasteless but in reality if cooked correctly it tastes great. Tofu in this curry absorbs all the flavor from the yummy gravy. The gravy is a combinaton of onion, ginger, garlic, tomatoes with garam masala and cashew-almond paste.
This recipe does involve lot of labor but the ultimate result will be totally worth it. The recipe is party pleaser and if you have vegan or vegetarian friend coming, this would be the perfect meal for them
Yield: 6 servings
Ingredients for vegetable korma with tofu:-
- 12 oz of extra firm tofu
- 1/2 cup of green peas
- 1/2 cup of cauliflower, cut into small florets
- 12-15 green beans, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 potato, cubed small
- 1 large carrot, peeled and cubed small
- Cilantro, 1 Tbsp chopped
For Gravy :-
- 1 large onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 inch of ginger, peeled and chopped fine
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped fine
- 3 medium red tomatoes, chopped
- 1/3 cup of almonds
- 1/3 cup of cashews
- 1/2 tsp of turmeric powder
- 1-2 tsp of hot red chilli powder or to taste
- 2 tsp of coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp of cumin seeds
- 1.5 tsp of garam masala or curry powder
- Salt to taste
- 1 Tbsp of oil
Method for vegetable korma with tofu :-
- Soak almond and cashew in hot water for 30 minutes.
- For gravy, heat oil in a pan and add cumin seeds. Let it sizzle, then add ginger, stir for a minute.
- Add onion, garlic and let it cook until it is golden brown.
- Add turmeric, coriander, red chilly, garam masala and stir for a minute.
- Add tomatoes, salt to taste and mix well. Put on the lid and let the tomatoes cook for 8-10 minutes or until it is soft and tender.
- Meanwhile, in another wide pan, add 1/2 cup of water and add cubed potato and put on the lid and cook for 5-6 minutes.
- When the potatoes are 60 percent cooked, add carrot, peas, beans, cauliflower with salt, put on the lid and cook for anther 6-8 minues until all the vegetables are cooked. Keep it aside.
- When the tomatoes are tender, turn off the heat and let it get cool enough to blend. Strain the water from cashew and almonds.
- Put the tomato mixture in a blender with soaked almonds and cashew and blend it smooth.
- Put the ground tomato mixture back in the same pan with half cup of water and add tofu. Let it cook for 8-10 minutes over low-medium heat.
- Now add all the boiled vegetables and let it simmer for another 5 minutes. Turn off the heat and add the chopped cilantro.
- Vegetable korma with tofu is ready.