Usal konkani style/sprouted beans and coconut curry
A Konkani style usal in which sprouted mixed beans are cooked with roasted coconut gravy. A healthy protein dish which is very flavourful, thanks to fennel and coriander seeds.
Yield :- 4 servings
- 2 cups of sprouted mixed beans
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 inch of ginger, finely chopped
- 6 medium garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 sprig of curry leaves
- 2 medium tomatoes
- 1/2 cup of grated coconut
- 1 Tbsp of coriander seeds
- 1 Tbsp of fennel seeds
- 5-6 fenugreek seeds
- 7-8 pepper corns
- 4 dry red chillies
- 1/4 tsp of turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 Tbsp of oil
1. Pressure cook beans and tomatoes together in 4 cups of water for 3 whistles over medium heat. Keep it aside.
2. Heat oil in a pan, then add fenugreek seeds, pepper corns and dry red chillies.
3. After 30 seconds add curry leaves, ginger, onion and garlic. Let it cook until the onion is golden brown.
4. Now add coconut and saute till it is dry for about 2-3 min. Then add fennel and coriander seeds and again stir it for 2 minutes till the coconut is golden brown.
5. Add turmeric and switch off the heat. Let the coconut mixture gets cool down. Now grind this mixture with little water to a smooth paste.
6. Now pour this ground mixture into the cooked beans. Add salt and 1 cup of water and let it come to a boil over medium heat . Add water according to your desired consistecy.
- Serve with rice or chapati.
- You can use any kind of sprouted beans or lentils you want.