Pasta with roasted cherry tomatoes and asparagus
This oven roasted cherry tomatoes, garlic and asparagus makes a perfect sauce for whole wheat spaghetti. A perfect and easy meal for a meatless weeknight dinner.
Yield :- 2-3 servings
- 2 cups of cherry tomatoes, halved(about 1 pint)
- 1/2 to 1 Tbsp of oil
- 1/2 tsp of red pepper flakes(use more if you like spicy)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 6 big whole garlic cloves, peeled and halved
- 1 bunch of thin asparagus, trimmed and diagonally sliced(about 1 inch)
- 1/3 pound of whole wheat spaghetti
- Handful of basil, chopped
- Handful of parsley or cilantro, chopped
- 1 Tbsp of extra virgin olive oil
- Handful of toasted walnuts, chopped
1. In a wide baking pan, toss first five ingredients and roast it at 400F for 25 minutes until the tomatoes and garlic are tender and juicy.
2. Take out the pan from oven and mash the tomatoes and garlic together with the back of the wooden spoon or potato masher and add 1 Tbsp of water just to make it all come together.
3. Then spread the asparagus over the tomatoes mixture, sprinkle it with little more salt and pepper and again roast it for 10 minutes until the asparagus is cooked but still have little crunch.
4. In a mean time, cook the pasta in salted water according to the package direction. Drain the pasta and reserve about half cup of pasta water.
5. Toss the spaghetti with the cooked tomato asparagus mixture with 1-2 Tbsp of pasta water, basil, parsley and 1 Tbsp of extra virgin olive oil.
6. Lastly mix in the roasted walnuts and garnish it with parmesan cheese shavings(optional).
- It a perfect dish for a week night dinner. Add 1/2 cup of white beans to make it a one pot meal.